Mar
10

Foldables and Anchor Charts for Geometry

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by on March 10, 2012 and tagged , , ,

We used Cheez-Its to explore area and perimeter. Any square cracker would work. Afterwards we ate our math.

I haven’t been doing very well with my blogging this year.  In fact my last published post was in January, and I started this one in January as well.  I’ve been trying lots of new things this year, but instead of them all being tech based, lots of them involve hands on pencil and paper used in a more creative way or edible manipulatives like the Cheez-its we used to learn about area and perimeter. My school district requires pretesting and post testing for each unit in reading and math, and the tests are changing each year as we move to teaching the Core Standards.  Our math tests are now 100% problem solving so the text books we have are no longer helpful in preparing students to be able to pass these tests. Therefore I was at a loss this year, as to what to use for instruction.  Then I joined Pinterest, and I started seeing examples of foldables. When it comes to geometry, most fourth graders struggle with the vocabulary.  There is a lot of it!  Giving them a hand out does not engage the student, and most do not retain the information.  Note taking can be tedious, and very difficult for some.  We created anchor charts to get us started. I like the foldables because they serve as a good organizational chart, but they are engaging to make.  By doing the writing themselves, students are more likely to remember what they are learning. They are also a good reference to come back too. There are several great websites and blogs that share great ideas for foldables.  The Foldables Are Wonderful Wiki  has foldable ideas for every subject.  Check out Fabulous Fourth Grade for more foldable ideas.  Or this idea from Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes. I also found this great video for remembering how to figure area and perimeter.